Welcome to the City of Montgomery
As one of the oldest towns in Texas, Montgomery began as a trading post in 1826 and was charted in 1837. Montgomery was the first county seat of Montgomery County and was the third county formed under the Republic of Texas. It is also recognized as the birthplace of the Texas Lone Star Flag. Montgomery is located at the junction of Texas 105 and FM 149, near the southwestern edge of Sam Houston National Forest in western Montgomery County. The center of town is 15 miles west of Conroe and 50 miles northwest of Houston.
Montgomery offers guests a memorable visit with its preserved 19th Century Historic Downtown District, as well as its many fine retail shops, restaurants and local attractions. We hope you'll stop by for a visit. Enjoy our clean air and relaxed country lifestyle!
On July 7, 1922, Edmund B. Stewart, son of the early Montgomery settler Charles B. Stewart, claimed in a letter that his father had drafted the original design of the Lone Star Flag enclosing what he claimed was his father's draft of the flag's design. To date, this letter and draft copy, along with claims by Stewart's descendants, remain the only evidence currently known that Charles Stewart was the designer of the flag. In particular, the lack of evidence not directly tied to the Stewart family has caused many flag historians to question Stewart's claim.
As a legacy of the Stewart claim, one of the nicknames for the city of Montgomery is "Birthplace of the Texas Flag."